Saturday, August 30, 2008

ready for take-off?


artist and all-around beautiful girl kelly rae has just birthed her first book, taking flight. it arrived yesterday in my post box, addressed to: creative soul lisa parks. just the greeting I needed after a week existing within the confines of my job.

I've been reading kelly's blog for a few months now. she captures perfectly the brilliance and uncertainty of becoming an artist. her words have meant more to me than she will ever know. she writes about feeling less than an artist, when doubts flood your brain and attempt to drown out the creative spark. she calls it the "impostor syndrome". I can so relate. recently, I firmed up plans to hold my first photo show at the beloved starlight cafe in october. I keep thinking, "really? me? a photo show? with real mats and frames and endless possibilities for criticism?" yikes! I easily fall into thinking that I'm not a "real" photographer and that my photographs are not real art. I label it Fauxtography. I am pensive.

strangely and despite the doubt, I just keep moving forward one step at a time, like some little artistic alter-ego is taking over and taking charge. let's call her lola, the real artist. she knows all about photo shows and hanging art and publicity and planning an opening reception with aplomb even if it is only ten pieces. she is telling lisa, "sit back and be a scaredy cat, I've got this."

I am looking forward to the three-day weekend and time to devour kelly's art and words.

"sooner or later, you just need to take a deep breath and spread your wings."

thanks kelly.