Wednesday, November 26, 2008

pretty

I don't do pretty enough.

bold, quirky, stunning, fantastical, interesting, funky: these are the qualities that catch my eye most of the time and make their way into my home and on to my body.

but there is something about pretty. soft, unassuming, graceful and certain of its appeal. there is a lot less disagreement around pretty. it's like a girl named claire; consistently claire. do you know what I mean?

I discovered pink peonies on the flower stand at richmond's trader joe's last week. what a lovely gift for late fall. I carefully carried them with me to a meeting and then sat them in the front seat like precious cargo for the drive home. once home, I emptied the vintage head vase of my makeup brushes; it seemed the only vessel appropriate for magical autumn pink peonies.

pretty, don't you think?

p.s. her name is now claire.