Thursday, November 27, 2008

randomness

happy thanksgiving morning. I am grateful every day for this lovely community here in the land of blog (that means you).

I don't have a plan. despite being really late this year, thanksgiving seemed to sneak up on me. I did manage to get some shopping done at 10pm last night (bonus: what a great time to be in the supermarket! no one was there.). and there is a menu. I put the turkey in its brine for the night.

the brine is made up of sugar, kosher salt, lemons, cinnamon sticks, cloves, garlic, peppercorns, bay, thyme and rosemary. the bird is submerged for at least 24 hours (didn't make it this year, but overnight will do) before rubbed with olive oil and herbes de provence and roasted. it's the best turkey ever.

I'm hoping for some really good rest time this 4 day weekend. I wish I could sleep like simon. sorry for the blur here, but it was really dark and you have to be ve-wy, ve-wy sneaky to get a shot of this mischievous corgi. simon goes through this whole ritual before crashing. he mills around the bed, poking, turning, digging, trying to find the perfect nesty spot. when the bed is sufficiently destroyed, he retreats to the foot of the bed and assumes this position:



I love simon.