Tuesday, December 16, 2008

day & night

I want to explore light with my camera. so far this week, it's been overcast with no sunlight. I played around a bit with artificial lighting and am intrigued by the differences between natural and unnatural illumination.

in an attempt to understand how light changes a subject and scene, I perused my archives and found these two images of one of my favorite subjects, a colorful vintage neon sign. no big photography revelation here, just my continued exploration as I feel my way through this self-taught photo thing-a-ma-jig I got going on.

our friend the sun plays up the color and shadow and exposes age and detail.

while mr. neon turns the color into a hypnotic mix of glow and reflection, camouflaging any distressed bits.


both beautiful in their own way.