Saturday, December 13, 2008

vintage christmas

not sure what happened to that sweet strawberry blonde hair, but that is me, looking curious about why we stood in line all that time for this um...interesting...experience.

today the grown-up version of me does most of my christmas shopping online. way back when we actually piled in the car and drove downtown to brock's department store to shop. our little downtown still had diagonal street parking then. brock's had an elevator with an attendant. I remember the cafe on the mezzanine where you could peek over the edge at the first floor shoppers. I think we only shopped at brock's at christmas and for back-to-school outfits.

I have a vivid memory of walking with my dad on the downtown sidewalks at night, bundled up in my little coat and searching for the perfect gift for my mom. he stopping at the jewelry store, me anticipating a visit to uncle woody's toy circus or see's candy. it's one of those memories that is only about three seconds long, but those three seconds are filled with incredible time-travel-esque sights, sounds, scents, spacial sensation and an incredible feeling of safety and contentment. I love those memories.

happy shopping everyone. make one of those memories for your kids this weekend.