Tuesday, March 6, 2012

hope and the pain of opening my eyes


“hope is not about proving anything. it’s about choosing to believe this one thing: that love is bigger than any grim, bleak shit anyone can throw at us.”

-anne lamott

oh friends, i've had an interesting week.  lately i've grown tired of living in a culture where i have to swallow my words and silence my opinion in order to keep the peace.  but something happened last week that made me, required me, to open my eyes, open my mouth, and take a stand. 

in my twenties, i planned to go into human rights law.  i was very active in politics and working to make life better for those whose rights were denied them.  after some years wallowing in too much information, injustice, hatred and deceit, and not a lot of change, i made the decision for my own health and well-being to scale back on the activism. 

in the interest of peace i chose to look away from the injustice and back down from the fight, to close my eyes and hum a lovely tune to block out the noise of hate.

but then just like that, i was back in. 

in the interest of peace.  and hope.  and love.