Wednesday, April 27, 2011

{nourish}

*

the prompt for this inaugural week of bella's 52 photos project is "nourish".

when i first read the prompt, i got all giddy with plans of photographing luscious images of food.  but the more i thought about it, the thing that has nourished my body and soul the most over the past five months is bikram yoga.

i started doing this challenging class (90 minutes, 105°, 40% humidity) five months ago and now i'm hooked like so many others.

bikram yoga nourishes me in so many ways during class; what i love the most is how what happens in class translates into life outside the very hot room:
  • it never gets easier, just better
  • there are endless opportunities for awareness, growth and improvement
  • the unique relationship with the mirror in a bikram class moves me to previously unknown levels of self-awareness and self-acceptance
  • it's true that my body is different every time i walk in the door, this knowledge has brought me to a new understanding of "go with it"
  • i greet and dismiss resistance before each and every class, practicing peaceful warfare with this thing that cripples me most in real life
  • following directions and relinquishing control and authority is fun
  • the only decision i have to make is "try the right way"
  • my nemesis posture, ustrasana, the heart-opening camel, has become one of my favorites
  • tense does not equal strong
  • the gallons of sweat and the many many exhales of breath empty my body, allowing space for health and newness
in may, i am starting a 30-day challenge:  a class a day for thirty days (if i miss a day, i get to do two classes in one day!).  i'll post my progress here.  i'm sure there will be setbacks as well.  i'm a wee bit daunted by this challenge (and the thought of all that laundry!).  but i can't wait to meet the girl staring back at me in the mirror on june 1.

*my classmate isabelle, totally rocking dandayamana-bibhaktapada-paschimotthanasana.