this salad is inspired by my love of all things india. it's based on one of my favorites, aloo posto: spicy potatoes with poppy seeds. also, ever since fresh pressed turmeric juice cured my nasty sore throat in nyc last month, i'm putting turmeric in everything. read about it's mojo here.
every main ingredient in this salad with the exception of the pistachios and the poppy seeds was either grown in my garden or purchased at the farmer's market.
i heart india salad
- five medium potatoes, diced, spiced and roasted
- one cucumber, diced
- one-half purple onion, diced
- one cup fresh herbs (i used parsley and dill)
- red wine vinaigrette
- poppy seeds, a few pinches
dice the potatoes, toss in olive oil and liberally sprinkle with turmeric, chili powder, salt and pepper. roast at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. i prefer roasted potatoes to boiled for potato salads; they have more flavor and it cuts way down on the need for vinaigrette or mayonnaise. let cool a bit and then toss in a bowl with the cucumber, onion, herbs and poppy seeds. sprinkle with red wine vinaigrette. garnish with chopped pistachios.
it's kind of bold and amazing.
five things i love about india:
- color everywhere
- hindu gods and goddesses
- the incredible spirit of the children
- kheer and chai
- (i know it's not true, but) i imagine the air is scented with cardamom and patchouli