Wednesday, March 19, 2008

think twice


Self Portrait Challenge: Politics

I was born and raised as a Californian. A lot of people have a lot of ideas about what that means. What it means to me is that thinking and speaking and creating and changing are part of what it means to be human. On top of that, my parents taught me to do these things openly and honestly.

I now live in a community where I find myself thinking twice about saying what I think. Lynchburg is not only the home of the late Rev. Jerry Falwell and his followers, the community truly embraces the whole Southern Niceties thing. I never know the real truth. Worse for me is that I feel I cannot speak the truth and cannot share the vibrant energy of new ideas. It is better just to go along and be pleasant. Don't cause problems. Don't hurt feelings. And DON'T TRY TO CHANGE ANYTHING.