Saturday, April 19, 2008

thank you, thank you very much

I'm an early riser. I'm talking early early...like 5am on the nose practically every morning, naturally. ken is a night owl (he's a theatre guy), so I find myself quietly padding around the house in the morning hours so as not to disturb him (and he does the same at 1am. well, he tries).

this morning the house was so silent and still. probably because we're sans air conditioner/heater hum due to the perfect sleeping weather. the dogs were up and hyper and needed to go out. We tippytoed downstairs in absolute hushness.

my yard backs up to a small woods and apparently there is a bird convention in town being held in my hood. as I opened the door, I was greeted by the electric sound of thousands of birds rehearsing their morning repertoire. it was like stepping out on a stage to wild applause. it was awesome. and it wasn't your normal, run-of-the-mill morning bird songs. it was like an orchestra vacillating between tuning up and full-on symphony mode. and there I was: standing alone on the deck in my best paisley pj's with a cup of joe and a giant grin on my face, the slightest stream of sunrise posing as my spotlight, humbled and grateful for my adoring fans.