Thursday, August 20, 2009

happy thursday

nothing makes me happier than a free spirit.

they are not easy to find in my little 'burg. most days I find myself surrounded by those who dutifully followed the path that was set out for them without consultation or consideration to their dreams and desires. they grew up in their peaceful suburbs in an intact family unit, acquired a post-graduate degree and that weird thurston-howell-the-third accent from UVA, secured a financially rewarding career path, married and produced four children. not so bad, but underneath all that success, I always sense a disappointment, a longing, a "really? this is it?" feeling. occassionally there is evidence that those feelings are listened to and acted on by these individuals but most times they are ignored and replaced by indignant righteousness in a futile act of self-preservation. this saddens me and I try very hard to to be compassionate.

I am always telling my friend that just because you live in a small town doesn't mean you have to live a small life. we are working on having big expansive colorful unique lives. it's harder to do here but so far, it seems to be working. and little by little, we are seeing signs that we are not alone. here and there are glimpses of souls who walk the roads less travelled that intersect with our own.

that's the thing about free and kindred spirits: they are everywhere.