Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Self Portrait Challenge: Politics


This is my first month doing the Self Portrait Challenge. I'm not sure if I followed the rules (I think you may need to have some part of your actual body in the shot). This month's theme is politics.


There is a soft, quiet place in my heart where the lovely idea of democracy resides. This is the place that holds the reverence that gently wells up when I enter a court of law or a voting booth. This is the place where every One counts, every One has a voice, every One matters. Through my twenties and thirties, I wore the "I Voted" sticker proudly on my heart throughout the day after an early-morning vote. This last primary, I noticed that my voting experience was somewhat devoid of feeling, in spite of this being a historic election. I don't feel the Hope. I don't feel the Change. I feel like I'm being lied to and sold something I don't need. I completed my duty and declined the sticker, then found myself returning to claim one. It didn't go on my heart. It went on my Starbucks cup. I'm trying to access that place in my soul that believes in democracy. I'm scared of apathy.