Tuesday, July 1, 2008

let's take a look

the self-portrait challenge for july is "skill".

strong observation skills serve me well in my work as a child abuse investigator. through careful questioning, listening and visual observation, I see the big picture about a child's situation. I examine and draw conclusions about things ranging from physical conditions (such as distinguishing accidental from abusive injuries) to less concrete emotional indicators (a child's tentative words or fearful gestures). I often see and hear things that most people don't want to think about.

on the positive side (and there really is a positive side to my work) my observation skills help me work with families to identify and define things that are working well in their lives and how to use those strengths to work toward a safe and healthy family. a family's history is interesting to me and I'm curious about how they live their lives and why they make the decisions they do. I truly love looking for creative solutions that help children.

(see the alternative, not-so-serious version here. I was really having fun with the looking glass! this girl loves a prop.)