Thursday, May 28, 2009

la vida local, part deux

not that I needed another project.

she is one of my new babies. one of five heirloom tomato plants purchased for 75¢ each at the farm market who will make their summer home with the herbs on my south patio and hopefully keep my little family in luscious tomatoey goodness all season long.

have you read animal, vegetable, miracle? it has been sitting on my bookshelf for several months and I just picked it up last weekend. wow. I have read a lot of books about food and nutrition, but none have scared and saddened me (in a good way...to propel me to action) as much as this one. I've been pretty loyal to local farm markets, but the vast majority of produce purchases over the span of my grocery shopping life have occurred at the supermarket. half-way through the book, I know I need to change that.

we are lucky to have a city farm market open six days a week all year round, so I will be visiting more than saturdays (and it's crazy I haven't done this before...it's a short walk from my office and yet I was so stuck in habit that I arrived at 7am on the weekend instead!). we also purchased a share in our local farm co-op, which delivers the freshest, just-picked produce and eggs and meat from the surrounding mennonite farms to a drop-off point just down the street from my house once per week. I love this. I just wish they actually came in a horse and buggy.

and then there is this desire to grow some food myself. I've never journeyed into growing more than flowers and herbs. this little book (and the website) have me excited to see what I can do at home. with my trusty gardening assistant right by my side.

I was born and raised in california's great central valley, which supplies a good portion of the world's food. during my life, I witnessed the transition from family farm to this concept of agribusiness. I always thought it was a good thing...bigger farms=more food, right? I really had no idea how capitalism was screwing the food chain and our potential survival. read the book. you won't regret it.

are you supporting your local farms or do you grow it yourself?