Friday, January 16, 2009

honoring my inspirations

flickr, you inspire me.


chapter two of the 12 secrets of highly creative women is all about inspiration and creating space (internal, external and temporal) conducive to the reception of inspiration. the segment ends with a series of questions to define that space for each reader. here are the questions and my answers:

1. when did your creative awakening or reawakening occur? the last year has been a beautiful journey back to color, openness, impulsiveness and much smiling.

2. what talents do you have naturally? I have an eye for the quirky and unusual. I trust my intuition and don't spend a lot of time thinking about the shot, the composition, the light. I shoot what I like. I am also an enthusiastic and persuasive teacher (but only of something I believe it).

3. which elements (fire, water, wood, air) draw you toward them? I don't really like being restricted to these four choices because there are so many other factors that hold a stronger draw for me (color and form for example). if I have to choose, I choose air; especially clouds and rainbows. no, wood. wait, fire.

4. where and when do you create? where and when do you wish to create? my high regard for impulsivity allows me to create anywhere, anytime. even if it's just in my head.

5. what activates your creative energy? what drains it? anything can activate it; assignments work well, browsing the amazingness that is flickr, and oddly enough, a crisis. my creative energy is usually drained by imbalance (a bit too much creating, not enough rest) or feeling not-good-enough.

6. do you use creative rituals? which ones? if not, invent some. I wouldn't say I use a ritual per se, but I do like some order and quiet. I guess you could consider browsing flickr for hours upon hours a ritual.

7. does nature influence your creativity? how? quite honestly, nature as a concept makes me want to take a big old nap. however, nature as a backdrop/juxtaposition in an image makes me giddy (especially blue skies, the ground, quirky flowers, oh and sun flares...I love a good sun flare!).

8. what has been your greatest creative hurdle so far? just picking up the camera and shooting. I was afraid for so long.

9. what time of the day are you most receptive to inspiration? I have the most energy and focus in the morning, but really I welcome inspiration anytime.

our host jamie prompts the discussion with the question, what have you always loved?

bold colors, catchy words, nostalgia, humor, energy, individuality, my enthusiastic appreciation for art that is magically created by others.

how about you?