Thursday, January 29, 2009

all our kids

I'm teaching a class in which we look at the issue of child abuse across several different countries. this global perspective has pulled me out of my comfort zone of dealing with child abuse and neglect in the united states (my day job). this afternoon we watched the documentary born into brothels. if you haven't seen this film, you must. if you are at all interested in children and the transformative power of art (in this case, photography), please see it. you will fall in love with these kids and their spirit and their talent. watching their little lives unfold and knowing the likelihood of their futures, you gain a little perspective on our "woes" about the recession. for me professionally, I am grateful that I work in a system, as fractured and confusing as it can be at times, that can and does respond to the needs of children and families.